It’s Kidney beans again! But this time its unbelievably delicious and of course healthy. Above all, This kidney beans soup has lots of benefits and can be made within just 15 minutes.
I love soups! May it be Tom Yum soup, pumpkin soup, tomato soup, hot & sour soup. phew! I can go on and on. I’ll stop there, and surely share the rest of the soup recipes soon. Nevertheless, I have here, the wonderfully delicious super easy Vegan Kidney beans soup recipe.
Check out our other Vegan recipe – No bake energy balls
This soup is something you should add into your diet if you are watching your weight. Kidney beans are an excellent plant-based source of protein. They’re also rich in various minerals, vitamins, fibers, antioxidants, and other unique plant compounds. Therefore, these beans may aid weight loss, promote colon health, and moderate blood sugar levels.
Moreover, You can have it has a main dish along with pita bread, bread or chapatti. All you have to do is add little more about (1/4 tsp.) of chili powder and gram masala for extra flavor.
What are the ingredients needed for kidney beans soup?
- 1 cup Red kidney beans
- 1 medium size Onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- few spring onion
- 1 tsp. lemon juice.
How to make kidney beans soup?
Kidney beans soup can be made with canned kidney beans or dried raw kidney beans. For this recipe, I used canned red kidney beans. This makes it faster and easier. Jump right to the recipe?
Sometimes, I use raw kidney beans as well. If you are using raw kidney beans, you will have to follow few steps to cook the kidney beans first.
Soak raw kidney beans in water for 6 hours or overnight. The beans will get bigger hence, make sure you leave room for the beans to get bigger in the bowl.
Cook kidney beans on an open pot
Fill the pot with kidney beans and 5-6 glasses of water and bring to a boil. Add salt to the water. If you taste the salt in the water, the added salt is enough. lower the flame to medium and cook further for another 30 minutes. After 20 – 25 minutes, keep an eye on the beans to see if they have been cooked fully.
once they are cooked, drain the water using a colander.
Cook kidney beans on a pressure cooker
In a pressure cooker, add the beans, salt with 3- 4 glasses of water. Cook for 2 whistles and turn off the flame and wait for the pressure to escape. Similarly, Check if the beans are fully cooked, if not, cook for few more minutes with the lid open.
Once cooked, drain using a colander.
How to store the leftover cooked kidney beans?
Transfer the cooked kidney beans to a zip lock/airtight bag and spread the beans and freeze for an hour. This will help the kidney beans to be frozen, without sticking to each other, making it easier to take small portions when needed. These will stay fresh in the freezer for 1 month.
while using canned beans, you can freeze the leftovers in the same way. Kidney beans can be stored in the refrigerator for only 2-3 days.
How to defrost the frozen kidney beans?
For use in salads, Transfer the beans to a bowl and add hot water. Cover with a lid and let it sit for 2 minutes. Drain the water and use the beans on your salad.
For cooking, add the beans directly to your cooking pot or pan. It will get defrosted while cooking.
Kidney beans soup step by step instruction
1.Heat a pan, Add olive oil and sauté onion for few minutes. Once the onion is slightly translucent add garlic and sauté till the aroma disappears.
2. Now, Add tomato paste, salt, chili powder and oregano and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
3. Transfer this to a grinder after it cools down. I use ice cubes to cut down the cooling time and grind right away to a paste. 😉
4. Add this paste back to the pan and add kidney beans. Crush half of kidney beans with the back of the spoon. Pour in 1 cup of water and close the lid and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes. Check salt and spice, If you prefer it spicy, add little pepper powder.
5. Turn off the flame, add lemon juice, garnish with spring onion and serve hot!
Note: Do not skip lemon juice because It adds the right amount of tanginess to the soup.
Kidney Beans Soup (Ready in 15 minutes)
Do not skip lemon juice because It adds the right amount of tanginess to the soup.
- Heat a pan, Add olive oil and sauté onion for few minutes. Once the onion is slightly translucent add garlic and sauté till the aroma disappears.
- Now, Add tomato paste, salt, chili powder and oregano and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer this to a grinder after it cools down.
- Add this paste back to the pan and add kidney beans. Crush half of kidney beans with the back of spoon. Pour in, 1 cup of water and close the lid and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame, add lemon juice, garnish with spring onion and serve hot!