Kheer is a delicious rice pudding that is made from milk, basmati rice and nuts. Kheer was first introduced to me by my Pakistani neighbour. She would make them during Ramadan and bring it home for iftar. Aunt’s kheer was loved by everyone at home, she made the best kheer one could have. Later, I had kheer at restaurants and even at some parties but nothing would match that tasty kheer she made.
I am happy to include that delicious Kheer recipe with you in this Ramadan special recipe series. It’s easy to make, requires few ingredients and tastes amazing. What are you waiting for, lets cook kheer.
- 1 litre milk
- 1 serving spoon Basmati Rice
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- few saffron strands (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 cup mixed nuts (almond, pistachio, cashew)
- Grind the nuts in a food processor.
- In a pan, bring milk to boil and add soaked rice (20 minutes) and cook on medium flame while stirring the mixture.
- Once it starts getting thick Add sugar, saffron and nuts into the kheer and keep stirring continuously.
- When it reaches the desired consistency, add cardomom powder and Garnish with chopped nuts. Rice Kheer is ready to be served!
Note: Rice kheer tastes best when chilled. Adjust the amount of sugar according to your preference.