Are you having sensitive skin and have always been searching the best way to remove facial hairs without worrying about the skin irritations? Then you have come to the right place.
I’m honestly very excited to write a post on “the best way to remove facial hair for sensitive skin“, because this is something I struggle with, on a daily basis.
In this post I’m going to tell you about “best way to remove facial hair for sensitive skin” and also share my best tips and tricks to take care of sensitive, irritated, redness-prone skin, so that you guys can fix your sensitive skin problems.
First, let us find out what irritates sensitive skin THE MOST?
The 2 reasons hair removal product irritate sensitive skin
#1 Harmful chemical substances present in products
There are very few hair removal products in this world that are 100% natural and made from only natural ingredients. We often don’t recognize the harmful effects of chemicals in synthetic waxes and other hair removing creams have on our skin. The harsh chemicals cause reddening, dryness, and cracking of the skin on contact.
#2 Heated substances ( Hot wax, etc)
Heated substances can be very dangerous on the skin, especially on sensitive skin. Which causes discomfort and mild burns. This may result in redness, swelling, blisters and even premature signs of skin ageing.
From the above reasoning, now we know that we need to avoid the harmful chemicals and heat as much as possible to keep our skin smooth and rashes free.
Now let us look at the “best way to remove the facial hair for sensitive skin.
Tweezing is the most common and the easiest method to remove the hairs from its root, delaying the regrowth of hairs and offering long-lasting results. It is best for particular spots like eyebrow or chin. It is safe for sensitive skin, as it is free from any harsh chemicals and unwanted heat(obviously) that our skin is not comfortable with.
Tweezers can be ideally used on sensitive skin by following these steps.
- Sterilize or clean the tweezers very well before use. Because, if the hair follicles get infected with bacteria there are more chances that you will break out after tweezing.
- Remove all the makeup, oils or lotion and clean the face very well and dry the area to be tweezed.
- Mark the area of hair to be removed and brush it to separate the hairs you want to pluck if you are using it for shaping eyebrows.
- Grab one hair at a time with tweezers, while holding your skin taut.
- Pull smoothly in the direction of hair growth.
1) Best time to use tweezers is after a warm bath so that hairs get pulled out more easily and painlessly.
2) Apply a soothing cream/coconut oil/moisturizer after tweezing to reduce redness and inflammation.
3) Do not use the face wash or soap at least for 2 hours after the application.
2. Sugar waxing
Though tweezing is an effective and inexpensive way to get rid of the facial hair, it is not an option for removing hairs on larger areas. That’s where waxing comes for the rescue. Sugar is 100% natural. The sugar paste naturally warms with the temperature of the skin so there is no need for pre-heating. Bye Bye wax burns!
Sugar also adheres only to the hair, not the skin which reduces inflammation and redness, which is why it is much better for those with sensitive skin. Sugar waxing not only removes the hair, but it also exfoliates and lightens skin shade.
Make sugar wax at home.
Spoiler alert: It is A LOT easier than you expect.
Step 1: Add 1 cup / 200 grams sugar and 2/3rd cup water in a sauce pan.
Step 2: Now, switch on the flame and stir continuously until the liquid turns light brown and slightly thick.
Step 3: Next add another 1/2 cup water and 1 cup sugar, stir continuously until it thickens like honey. Now add 2 tbsp lemon juice. Switch off the flame and let it cool.
Sugar wax is ready to use.
How to remove facial hair using sugar wax?
Step 1: It’s important to start with clean and dry skin so the sugar can better stick to the hair. Sugar wax doesn’t adhere to the skin with moisture, so make sure it’s completely dry. Wash off any makeup or lotion before starting.
Step 2: Scoop required amount of sugar wax with small spatula or the hand of spoon on to the hair. Now apply the wax in the direction of hair growth (not against the direction).
Step 3: Now, place cotton strip/cloth on the applied sugar wax and massage over it, so that it can very well stick to hairs.
Step 4: Now pull the cotton strip/cloth against the direction of hair growth.
You can reuse the same piece of the strip until it no longer removes the hair. One strip can be used multiple times.
1) Soothe the skin after removing facial hair by gently rubbing aloe vera
2) Apply 1% hydrocortisone cream immediately post-waxing and then twice daily for another two days.
Shaving makes your face hair-free without pain and it is best for sensitive skin when you take precaution pre and post hair removal. With months of facial shaving, I found the best way to shave face without irritations.
Here is what you need to follow :
- Clean your face and wash off any makeup or lotions.
- Apply coconut oil, all over your face.
- Use a single-use disposable razor.
- Shave gently in the direction of hair growth. Do not put any pressure while shaving, do it very gently. Facial hairs are very soft, your gentle razor touches are enough to make your skin smooth and hair-free.
- Do not tug or rub on the freshly-shaved skin.
- Damp, soft cotton towel with warm water and wipe off the oil on your face.
- Moisturize again, using aloe vera or bio-oil to calm your skin.
1) Never shave your face against the hair growth.
2) Do not use soap and cosmetic product for a few hours.
3) Shave your face at night, so that your skin gets enough time to rest.
4. Hair removing creams
As I mentioned earlier, the harmful chemical present in the hair removing creams and waxes damage the skin, especially sensitive skins. Fortunately, there is hope and products that can remove the hairs without irritating the sensitive skin.
Sally Hansen creme hair remover duo kit has worked for me like a miracle. It comes with the hair removal creme and moisturizer. you can safely use it even if you have peach fus. This product gives me very less irritation when compared to all the other products I have tried.
Instructions to follow:
Step 1: Apply the thin layer of creme all over your face, covering the hairs completely. (avoiding eye area)
Step 2: Set the timer for 8 minutes.
Step 3: Damp a cotton cloth, and wipe the creme off the face.
Step 4: Rub the moisturizing creme over the areas treated with Creme Hair Remover. Let it dry.
Step 5: Do not use soap/face wash for at least 3 hours.
1) If you miss a spot, wait for a day and do it later to avoid irritation
2) If you have breakouts do not apply the creme on a particular spot.
3) Make a patch test.*Feeling mild burning sensation is normal.
5. Home DIY
This method removes facial hair very easily and affordably at the comfort of your home. Even if you have acne, pimple, breakout, you can still use it because it is 100% natural and doesn’t have any side effects.
It takes a longer time than other hair removing methods. Actually, it varies from person to person depending on the strength of hair root. After 2-3 months of regular usage (twice a week), you can see the desired results.
Instructions to follow:
Step 1: Mix 2 table spoon of gram flour, 2 teaspoon of coconut oil, few drops of rose water and turn it to a smooth paste.
Step 2: Apply the paste over hair you want to remove, covering it completely. Let it dry completely.
Step 3: Once dried, start rubbing the mask in the opposite direction of hair growth. Keep rubbing the area from where you want to remove the facial hair for 5-6 minutes.
Step 4: After an hour, wash off your face with warm water and apply moisturizer.
1) Do not use soap/face wash for at least 3 hours.
2) Be patient when trying home remedies as they usually take longer to show results.
Last but not least, to balance your hormones and reduce the growth of unwanted hair, stick to a healthy diet and exercise regularly.
So, Are you ready to give it a try?
Which method you prefer for your sensitive skin, we would love to hear from you in the comments.