Ramadan is the month of fasting for Muslims around the world. We all know that to make the most of Ramadan, we need to prepare ahead of time. Being organised will help us to use our time more wisely during this Blessed month. From the evening of 25th April all Muslims over the world will be embarking upon an annual period of fasting, prayer and giving charity.
Food plays an important part in the celebrations of Ramadan, bringing friends and family together at the dinner table. Cooking and preparing food takes up many hours the day. This Ramadan we have decided to plan easy making recipes. So that we can spend less time in the kitchen, and spare the precious time for acts of Worship.
We will be posting 1 recipe everyday, so stay tuned and scroll down to the end of the page to subscribe to passionlog to make the best of this series.
Recipe 1 : SAMOSA
Samosa is a dish that everyone looks forward to during Ramadan. It’s perhaps the next most wanted food item after dates during ‘Iftar’. An eatable, without which many feel their iftar is ‘incomplete’. It has the perfect balance of spice, meat, and crunchiness. Samosa’s can be made with various kinds of fillings, Each recipe has a different taste to it. This recipe is easy to make and is a savoured by the kids and adults alike.
In this recipe, you can use boneless meat pieces, chicken breast or ground meat. If you are using boneless meat pieces or chicken breast, cut them into small pieces and add them into the food processor or grinder. If you are using a grinder, grind with pulse.
Mixed vegetables used here are carrot, corn, beans and peas. We used frozen vegetables. You can use fresh vegetables as well.
Make these delicious samosa’s ahead of time and freeze them for later use.
- 500g chicken breast/ ground meat
- 1 cup mixed vegetables
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2-inch ginger
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 1+1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp chicken/mutton masala (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp lemon juice/vinegar
- Samosa leaves
- In a food processor/grinder, chop the vegetables, garlic and ginger.
- In a pan, add olive oil and saute the chopped mixture for 1 minute.
- (Skip to next step if using ground meat) Chop the boneless meat/ chicken breast.
- Add the ground meat/chopped chicken or meat.
- Mix all the spices in and cook.
- Once the meat/chicken is cooked add lemon.
- let it cool, then fill the samosa leaves with the filling.
- Freeze it at this point for later use, or deep fry them right away or Place them on a baking sheet and Bake in a preheated oven at 180°c for 30- 35 minutes (lighty brush with olive oil) .
Ready to taste delicious samosa’s ?